The Dragonfly Forest

They have been given names such as devil’s darning needle, ear sewer, horse stinger, skeeter hawk, and the snake’s servant. Actually, Dragonflies are beneficial, peaceful, and stunning. You are a Dragonfly if you are: ADD/ADHD, dyslexic, dysgraphic, Asperger’s, NLVD, autistic…

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

What you need to understand about for-profit and nonprofit

Hi Dragonfly Friends!  Yes, I’ve been off for a while due to being exceptionally busy professionally.  I'm always on a mission to make the world a better place for EVERYONE & this is very time consuming but worth all the hard work!  

Today I wanted to correct a misperception. Someone once made a comment about not wanting to support businesses, companies, or people who are for-profit and only wanted to support nonprofit companies that were truly not in it for the money.  Wow, this person has no clue on what it means to be for-profit and nonprofit.  There is a perception that nonprofit companies are better because they are “not in it for the money” but this isn’t really true.  I used to work in nonprofit mental health and it was ALL about billing (aka money), which meant face-to-face time only because we couldn’t bill for phone calls or emails.  We were required to meet monthly billing quotas and if you did not meet your billing quota you were in trouble (reprimand and no raises).  This is not a good practice for clients because it creates unhealthy co-dependent relationships. 


Here’s a video of Dan Pallotta explaining “The way we think about charity is dead wrong”



Having a private practice that is not a nonprofit does NOT make me greedy or all about the money.  I have a passion for what I do and put in exceptional amount of volunteer time for these passions.  I created a business helping people with disabilities (dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, Asperger's, Anxiety, Depression...) and their families.  No one does exactly what I do because it requires much more time and energy for little financial compensation.  There are some people who do similar jobs but my business is very unique and it is people centered not money driven.  I am not against nonprofits I’m against bad business practices especially when these business practices do not help the people we need to help – we need to really understand the way profit and nonprofit companies are run so we can learn more and do better. 

I am also a person who is willing to promote and support others, especially if it helps bring awareness to my passions.  I don’t care if the person, organization, company, or business is for-profit or nonprofit.  I will support everyone equally!  The world is a wonderful place and we all need to make a living and there is nothing wrong with growing a business because “Profit is not a dirty word.”  
























We need to remember this:



No comments:

Post a Comment