The Dragonfly Forest

They have been given names such as devil’s darning needle, ear sewer, horse stinger, skeeter hawk, and the snake’s servant. Actually, Dragonflies are beneficial, peaceful, and stunning. You are a Dragonfly if you are: ADD/ADHD, dyslexic, dysgraphic, Asperger’s, NLVD, autistic…

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Words from Parents and Dragonflies Wednesday - thanks

Today, for my Words from Parents and Dragonflies Wednesday I would like to say thanks for all your support lately.  I lost a family member recently and this loss makes a person reflect on all aspects of life.  

One of the things that I reflected on was how even when you are kind and giving sometimes people will still not see you for all your good qualities.  These people don't matter.  Do not spend energy in your life on others who do not respect you.  Let them go!  Live your life for you and not to please others.  

So, remember that as a parent of children with learning disabilities you will not be seen as the positive person that you are by people in the school district.  The people in the school districts do not appreciate being held accountable, they do not like knowing that they are really failing when it comes to educating children, and they do not want you reminding them of their incompetence.  Therefore, they will not see that you are a strong, caring, and supportive parent who is doing this because you are out for the best interest of your child and all children who learn differently.

I need to stop trying to please these people.  I have spent countless energy trying to prove that I am a good person and I am NOT the enemy because I am a very empathetic person who just wants her children educated.    I fight for my children to be educated and for teachers to not let them fail when it comes to learning.   

So one of the lessons I learned was that I am doing a great job.  A mother never stops when it comes to making sure her children are educated appropriately.  If I am not liked that is okay with me because I know I am doing the right things, I am tactful, I have deep empathy, I am diplomatic, and I am fair.  One day, all of this will be worth it even thought it has been the toughest battle I have ever experiences.  My kids are worth it!  It is the best thing a mom can do!  When I am no longer here, my children will know that I never gave up and they are better people because I wouldn't quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment