The Dragonfly Forest

They have been given names such as devil’s darning needle, ear sewer, horse stinger, skeeter hawk, and the snake’s servant. Actually, Dragonflies are beneficial, peaceful, and stunning. You are a Dragonfly if you are: ADD/ADHD, dyslexic, dysgraphic, Asperger’s, NLVD, autistic…

Thursday, January 21, 2016

You can change your brain!

Today I want you to think about your brain! Do you have control over your brain?  Do you know of ways to make your brain change so you can lead a better life? When meeting for coaching and counseling sessions I am frequently teaching about how the brain works so success can be achieved. This is one of my favorite things to do because we really do have the power to change our brain, emotions, situations, and our lives.  

As many of you also know - I struggle with understanding how the education system does NOT focus on educating students based on how their brains work. I also will NEVER understand how classroom teachers seem to be lacking an understanding that how they, the teacher, interact and teach influences the brain of each student.  I can only assume that teachers are not taught about the brain.  How can a person be in a profession where the brain is so vital in learning, not be taught how that brain works.  School districts are also not educating their teachers about the brain.  I just don't understand.  There is a major disconnect.

Often when I am attending a meeting at a school with parents to help the teachers learn about the student's brain, the teachers seems surprised that their own behaviors impacts a student's learning (or lack of learning).  When I explain that the student is NOT lazy but struggling with, avoidance, depression, anxiety or learned helplessness the teachers seem confused.  When teachers blame a student (or their parents) for the student's difficulties in learning I have to explain in details how the brain works.  I believe every educator needs to be taught about how the brain actually works and about learned helplessness (click to see article).  

Since I love teaching about the brain and learning about the brain I was thrilled to meet Dr. John Arden!  His books have not only been a positive influence in my life personally but also professionally. 

I recommend you read his books and start today on changing your brain!   The more you learn about the brain the more you can make positive changes in your life and the lives of your family.








No comments:

Post a Comment